We were so busy planting I didn't get any beginning pictures of the garden. Just a shot of a proud little radish farmer, where you can see the start of the planting and a lot of dirt. This is the day we planted the beans and squash. We wanted enough to share and knew we could feed any extra produce to the chickens, so we really went to town, planting as much as we could possibly squeeze in!
![]() |
| June 18, 2012 |
![]() |
| June 18, 2012 |
|
| July 5, 2012 |
This is a row of purple podded pole beans with Mammoth sunflowers in the background. These ended up being one of the favorite beans of the 11 varieties we grew this year.
One of our original favorites (and the best of the three purple striped varities we grew this year), the Rattle Snake Pole Bean. We will definitely be planting these again.
This is what it looks like under a row cover when you don't get it weeded. The weeds are totally out of control!
| July 10, 2012 |
The same row after it has had a chance to grow, been weeded and the cover removed. There are peppers in there!
Another humming bird. In the background there are squash, pole beans, and more sunflowers. (Double click on the picture for a larger view.)
A month later here are the same sunflowers. Not the mammoths, but still very tall.
We tried two varieties of sweet corn. Next year I want to do Indian corn or popcorn.
About a dozen hills of squash. I thought a couple of these were bush varieties. Turns out they are all vining and rather vigorous a that! So they took more room than anticipated. They ran through the fence and onto the lawn.
A couple of the varieties had rather large leaves.
One of the 14 different squash we planted this year. Cannot wait to taste them and see which we liked best! (I think this variety is "German".) Next year we will try our favorites plus the ones we didn't have room for.
We planted three different varieties of bush beans on the terrace. This is the yellow french bean called Beurre de Rocquencourt which I really liked. The green podded Provider was also a favorite. (The variety Bountiful was not.)
A close up of the pink streaked pole bean. This one showed up in the row of yellow pole beans, but is similar to the variety above.
It is always fun to have Little Lizzy in the garden. It is a game of hide-n-seek every time. I call out and sometimes she answers and sometimes not, then I have to track her down. She likes picking the green tomatoes, and anything else she can reach.
Joseph claimed this section of terrace. He wanted herbs and flowers, which he picked out.
Here is Joseph's basil (which grew ridiculously huge), petunias, beans on the left, blanketflower in the upper right corner, and hungarian hot wax peppers in the middle.
Our peppers did incredibly awesome! This variety is called Lavender and is purple on the outside, white on the inside. A fun addition to a relish tray. (It turns green when cooked.)
Our garden has kept us pretty busy, but has been a lot of fun as well. One of my goals this year was to save some of my own seed from what we grew. I was able to save some lettuce seed to grow next year, and I am hoping to save several varieties of bean seed as well. We are about ready for a break, and know frost is on its way. Soon almost everything will be harvested and done for the year, but we will have lots of yummy veggies stored up for winter. I am already dreaming about what to plant next year!
(Pictures taken by Amiane and Makala)



Amianne, I am absolutely amazed and in awe. I love your garden, and wish mine grew as well. Thanks for discussing the different varieties, it gives me some ideas for next year when I won't be pregnant and can stand to work in it. Quick question, do you use fertilizer, and if so, how often?
ReplyDelete